Thursday 16 October 2014

Aluki, The Most Adorable Inuit In Existance

Here are some character development drawings for Aluki, my main character. I toyed with the idea of having her and Anik less human in appearance, which I thought could add to the abstract feel of the film. Asking around, people felt the human designs were better suited to my idea and after some thought I agreed with them. If the Inuits are plausible as being from the real world it makes the Creatures' presence more weird and confusing, as they are obviously not from the real world. If the Inuits looked inhuman themselves, you wouldn't question the Creatures being there as much, as you would just think they were standard issue in the world I am creating.

I tried to keep Aluki's design very simple, drawing upon the Inuit carvings for style reference. I felt a simple design would work better, as the story is quite metaphorical and symbolic, so simple characters would carry this better, and would help create this non literal tale. I needed her to be able to look forlorn as well as be able to carry long awkward stares between herself and the Creature. She is bulky since she has to wear so much to keep her warm. Her hair will separate her from Anik, as both will have similar body shapes and circular type faces. A few details like her stripy legs and trim on her coat add an extra bit of interest. I also needed her to be plausible as a puppet. The issue will be balancing design aesthetics with practicality of walking/ running with the length of the legs. As they stand, the legs may be too short for the puppet to walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment