Saturday 7 February 2015

Polar Bear Creature Puppet

I wrapped strips of face cloth around the body to achieve a furry look and then painted them with acrylic ink. I remade the head, still using foam, but this time I carved it in two layers, the base and then the nose layer, before glueing them together. I had some trouble with this puppet as first time round I made up the bulk of the body with foam, before wrapping the cloth round. But this made the puppet to stiff, there was too much foam and cloth so the wire armature was not strong enough to hold its position when moved, it would just spring back to its default position. obviously this is no good for animation. So I had a brain wave and slit open the stomach, gouged out the the foam in the middle, leaving a hollow stomach, then glued the sides back up. I repeated this for all the legs. It was a very long process as the foam proved impossible to remove as it had glued so stiffly. But I got there eventually and the puppet no longer hd so  uch resistance and was able to be animated.














No comments:

Post a Comment